Friday, September 7, 2012

Squash and Asparagus/Turkey Wraps

As promised, here is the prep and recipe behind the squash and asparagus wrap dinner. You will need

  • 1 large yellow squash
  • 6 large asparagus stalks or 9 slim stalks
  • 6 slices of turkey (I use honey roasted)
  • 2 tbls ligtht cream cheese
  • 1/2 tbls of light butter
I do this entirely with the Foreman grill. You can bake it in your oven at 350 for 30 minutes instead if you prefer (be sure to pay attention to your food though, because my oven is a little wonky). 

So, layer 2 slices of turkey (about 2/4 of an inch of layer) and spread a bit of cream cheese down the center. Wrap 2-3 asparagus stalks long-ways in the turkey slices. Put on the grill for 5 minutes. 

While the asparagus wraps are grilling, slice your squash into 1/2 inch slices. Smear the butter on the half of the grill not occupied by the asparagus wraps. Put on the grill. After, the 5 minutes is up, flip the asparagus wraps, but leave the squash alone. Leave on the grill for another 5 minutes. Take the asparagus wraps off and set aside, flip the squash and leave them for 3 more minutes. 

After the 3 minutes are up, take off the squash and enjoy :) Nutrition info below.


Cals Tot Fat Sat Fat Trans Sodium
1 lg Squash 30 0 0 0 12
1/2 tbls light butter 25 2.5 0.75 0 42.5
9 slim asparagus stalks (or 6 thicker stalks) 25 0 0 0 0
6 slices of turkey 60 4.5 0.75 0 480
2 tbls light cream cheese 60 4.5 3 0 170
Totals 200 11.5 4.5 0 704.5

In Insanity news, I've decided to push myself to max capacity while repeating month 1 and working on the nutrition aspect. So far, it is yielding results, which makes me happy. However, my muscles are sore like whoa. The first time I did month 1 of Insanity, I held back in a lot of the workouts because I was afraid of hurting myself. Now, I am cranking them out like there is no tomorrow. I haven't felt this level of soreness in quite some time. But I am pleased. 

I am currently house sitting for my parents, so I'm just going to sleep here, do my Insanity workout, recover (maybe eat if I need to) then do some work on the elliptical. My husband always talked about when he did two-a-day workouts. I'm going to try this once my current day job ends (next Friday). Of course, I know this won't last, as once we move and I obtain a full time job I won't have the time other than weekends. But for now, I am kicking my butt with Insanity and loving it. I can't wait until 3 weeks from now when I take my next progress pick. Honestly, I can't wait until the 22 and my husband comes back from training on the other side of the continent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment