Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Spinach Panini = Love

Today I decided my breakfast and lunch needed to be super healthy since I knew my dinner and after dinner would be so-so. Every Tuesday I go over to my parents for "Spaghetti Tuesday". Spaghetti in and of itself is not terrible. In fact, the spaghetti and side of bread totaled 550 calories today, which would be totally doable in my grand scheme of daily calories. What normally causes the calorie calamity is the wine. My dad likes to lure me over with wine, and who am I to not indulge? Like I've said many times before, you cannot outright cut out the things you enjoy from your diet or else you will binge. So, Tuesday evening is my wine night.

However, I had no idea I would behave as well as I did, so I planned out breakfast and lunch as if I were going to binge like there was no tomorrow. For breakfast I had a cup of strawberries dipped in plain Greek yogurt and frozen. This was obviously prepped before hand. For lunch I had the most amazing foreman grill panini ever. I went out and bought sandwich thins (more costly than a loaf of bread, but I never get through the whole loaf due to only needing to feed two people and feeling guilty about nutrition/calorie content), some fresh spinach and light mini babybel cheese. I already had some turkey at home so I threw that into the mix on a whim.

Anyway, to make this heat some water on medium, and throw in about two fist fulls of spinach leaves. Once cooked, drain the leaves. Open the sandwich thin and place one slice of turkey on each side. Spread the spinach leaves over one side (I put the turkey down first so the moisture form the damp spinach won't soak the bread) and put the mini babybel cheese in the center. Close the sandwich up and place on the foreman grill for four minutes. Presto, an amazing panini! Nutrition info below.

Cals Tot fat Sat fat Trans Sodium
Sandwich thin 100 1 0 0 170
2 slices of honey turkey 20 1.5 0.25 0 240
spinach 5 0 0 0 12
Light mini babybel 50 3 1.5 0 160
Total 175 5.5 1.75 0 582

When I first made this, I used four slices of turkey, which doubles the nutrition info for the turkey (at least for the brand I used), but it kind of over powered the cheese and spinach, so I cut it back to two slices to even out the flavors. You can obviously spice this up with any toppings you enjoy that you have laying around, but as it stands, this is a low calorie panini that works great for a snack or as part of your lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment