Monday, August 19, 2013

Insanity vs P90X vs Crossfit and My Results

Almost a year ago I posted my Insanity before and after results. I was happy with them at the time, but I was still nowhere near where I wanted to be. I also didn't really understand how fitness and nutrition really worked. I knew it was calories in vs calories out, but I didn't really pay attention in the beginning to the kinds of calories. Now I track fats, protein, and sodium as well (and sort of sugar, but not really since I don't have a sweet tooth--my issue is salt, so I pay more attention to that). There is obviously more to fitness than those factors, but those were the factors I let slip the most. I think it was those factors there were keeping me from where I wanted to be as well.

I gained a good bit of the weight back over the holidays and I got super mopey about it. My husband was also about to leave for 9 weeks for training so I was mega down in the dumps about that as well. I also decided that it was time to get back on the fitness horse for real. In the 12 weeks of P90X I lost 14 lbs and a good bit of inches.

Once I completed P90X, I moved onto crossfit workouts and I love them. I feel like I did the various workout programs in the best possible order to set me up for success. Insanity got me back in cardio shape, P90X built lean muscle and helped me annihilate fat, and crossfit has given me the variety to stay focused (and not get bored) while maintaining my weight. The first column contains my post-insanity results, the middle column is my pre-P90X results (my numbers went back up since I slacked over the holidays), the final column is where I am now (same as my post P90X results). I've maintained my weight and results for 5 months now! Woo!

Neck: 12.5
Waist: 27.5
Hips: 37
L Thigh: 20.5
R Thigh: 20.75
Wrist: 5.5
Forearm: 8.75

Neck: 12.5
Waist: 28
Hips: 37.5
L Thigh: 21
R Thigh: 21
Wrist: 5.5
Forearm: 8.5

Neck: 12.25
Waist: 25.5
Hips: 34
L Thigh: 19.5
R Thigh: 19.5
Wrist: 5.5
Forearm: 8.25

I am freakishly ecstatic about my triceps. You don't even know. In regards to the different programs, I would say Insanity is for beginners since there are no set reps--you just do the number of reps you are comfortable doing (but take it easy if you have no exercise experience, I'm not an expert nor a doctor so I can't really say what is safe for any given individual), P90X is for intermediate fitness enthusiasts (if you use lighter weights and elastic bands) to above average fit individuals (if you heavy up the weights and can do pull ups). Crossfit is technically for anybody. Some workouts are basic enough for even the laziest couch potato, others will make grown men cry. It all comes down to knowing your body, what it is capable of, and when to stop.

Some pros and cons:

Insanity Pros: No prep required for a workout, just pop in the DVD, most workouts are 45 minutes or less month one and about an hour month 2, calendar to track your workouts, and a nutrition guide.

Insanity Cons: Some moves cannot be altered for those who cannot perform them yet. My biggest beef with the program looking back is it is super cardio-based. A lot of people are stuck in the mind set to lose weight they need to do cardio, cardio, cardio but I saw my best results after lifting weights. Muscle burns fat, so build some! That's why I think Insanity is a good starting block for most individuals.

P90X Pros: Again, no prep, calendar to keep track of your workout schedule, and a kick-ass nutrition guide with meal ideas that look awesome, involves weights and really picks up the intensity.

P90X Cons: They're all around an hour (some even a bit longer like the yoga day) and you will have to buy weights. I know I just said weights are a good thing, but for those who do not want to or cannot spend the extra cash, this can be a negative of the program.

Crossfit pros: the WODs are nearly endless, go onto pinterest and you will see tons of them all over the place. Many can be tailored so they do not require equipment if you don't happen to have access. The variety is what really trumps here as you can only hear Tony Horton caw like a pterodactyl or listen to Shawn T say "Pump through it!" so many times before you want to strangle them both. Plus, if you do it on your own, this can be totally free for you if money is tight.

Crossfit cons: While doing it on your own can be free, if you want a membership to a crossfit gym, you are going to need to shell out a decent chunk of cash (more so than your standard gym). Plus, doing it on your own can be intimidating or even dangerous if you don't know proper form. Also, having to go on the hunt for a workout (or plan your own) can result in not working out for the day if you didn't plan ahead. If you do opt for the membership though, you get the super bonus of 1-on-1 time with trainers who will help you with form. Just make sure to do your research first and read reviews for the gyms in your area.

You can also check out my review of Focus T25 here:

Something else that is often overlooked by beginners (or those who just like to eat all the time like I did a few months ago) is nutrition, which is a huge part of successful weight loss and maintenance. Check out my blog for other recipes along with the corresponding nutrition info. I've also put together some crossfit WODs of my own that require little to no equipment, so take a look for examples and ideas, good luck!

About Samantha Bookwalter

Google+
Samantha Bookwalter is currently Associate Web Content Manager for Health Supplement Wholesalers. She specializes in web editing, copyediting, SEO, HTML, CSS, and other web-related acronyms. Samantha has an affinity for health and fitness; in her free time she enjoys working out with her husband and researching recipes that are not only healthy but delicious too.

No comments:

Post a Comment