Thursday, October 3, 2013

Knitting Baby Blankets and Evil Mitered Corners

So I enjoy knitting and originally intended to post more often about my knitting escapades (the stitches does play into the name of this blog after all, who knew?)

Anyway, I have a friend who had a baby right around my anniversary in May and I had been meaning to make her a baby blanket. She also has a toddler (just turned 3) and I didn't think it would be very nice to make the baby a blanket and not give the toddler one too.

So I made the newborn a small-ish (30x30) blanket for the car seat or when his mom goes for runs with her jogging stroller. I used much finer baby yarn for his so that one took a really long time. I don't do any of the fancy stitches for blankets (I save that for scarves, hats, and mittens).

I also put blanket minky around the edges because knitted blankets have a tendency of not being easy to grab at the edges (they get all stretched out over time). The minky gives it some stability.

Here's the baby blanket:



I made the toddler's blanket much larger since I figured he was probably in a toddler bed (or would be soon if he wasn't already. I made his out of a heavier weighted yarn. it's super soft and warm. This one I actually remember the quanitites. It took 6 rolls of the yarn, size 11 needles. I cast on 110 stitches. It ended up being about 49x38:


Let me tell you, those mitered corners are ridiculous. I sew the minky on by hand since I don't have a sewing machine. That takes a million years, but it can be relaxing after a stressful day. I just turn my brain off and sew away.

Here they are folded up together:


Tada! Christmas is coming up, I'm sure I'll be posting more of my creations after the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment