Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Comparing Baby Carriers: Ergo, Moby, and Nesting Days

With my first baby, I only wanted one carrier. I had done my research and I knew I wanted an Ergo. It served us well and I continue to use it with my now two-year-old to this day. However, having a preemie changed the game. The Ergo was great for my normal sized tot, but my undersized preemie could not go in the Ergo until she gained quite a few more pounds.

I was also curious as to what other wraps were available. I knew my second would be born premature (thanks, Cholestasis), so I bought a used Moby and practiced wrapping it in the last few weeks of my pregnancy. My mother in law also bought me a Nesting Days carrier. I had never heard of this brand before, but a friend of hers recommended it. She's had quite a few children, so I figured she must know what she's talking about. Here are my reviews of each carrier including pros and cons.

Ergobaby Original Carrier

I own the original Ergo, not the 360. Babies have to weigh at least 7 pounds to go in the infant insert. They must weigh at least 12 pounds to go in the Ergo without the insert. Ergo also recommends that baby is at least 4 months old before putting them in the carrier without the insert. The Ergo Original supports up to 45 pounds.

Pros

  • The Ergo is not a wrap, so it does not encase the entire upper body. It breathes much better and is not nearly as sweat inducing. This is my carrier of choice for extended outdoor time or physical activity, such as walking or hiking. 
  • Baby can be worn on the front or the back (once baby reaches weight/age requirements).
  • The Ergo is adjustable so several individuals can wear the Ergo. I could wear my toddler comfortably at 30 weeks pregnant because of the ability to adjust the fit. 
  • The Ergo has a hood feature that allows you to create a canopy over the baby. I used this on hot/sunny days and while the baby was asleep. It provides head support for babies who like to throw their head back while sleeping. It can provide privacy for nursing as well. It has snaps that allow you to secure it. 
  • This carrier allows for discreet nursing. It took a couple of tries until I got the hang of it. I had to adjust the straps to lower my baby so she could nurse comfortably. 

Cons

  • The Ergo does not strap across the baby's back like many wraps do. It has one panel holding the baby in. This is not an issue until the baby gets over a certain height. Then the Ergo only supports them part way up their back. This did not happen for my toddler until she was almost a year old, and she is super tall. 
  • The infant insert is difficult to use. The carrier comes with visual instructions on how to use it, but it never got easier for me. I didn't start to use this carrier often until my baby could sit in it without the insert. 

Cost

  • $90-$120 depending on print
  • $135 when purchasing with insert. One color is available for $90 with the insert. 
Me wearing E while 30 weeks pregnant. I have the hood up over her as she was napping.
She has her head turned to the other side and I have it loose so there is a gap for air flow.
Husband wearing E on his back

Moby Wrap

I bought my Moby wrap used because I had a feeling I would not like it. Or, rather, that it would be more difficult to use. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that did not work out. Babies must weigh 8 pounds before placing them in a Moby wrap. The Moby wrap supports up to 35 pounds.

Pros

  • There are several ways to carry a baby in the Moby. I used the newborn hold most often. 
  • The Moby crosses over the baby's back and shoulders and has an additional support panel. Baby feels very secure.
  • It is easy for baby to nurse in the Moby.
  • Anyone can wear the same Moby since it is one continuous piece of fabric. 

Cons

  • The Moby is several yards of fabric and can be difficult to wrap right on the first try. 
  • The wrap fits differently every time since it is one piece of fabric rather than a structured carrier. Sometimes I would have a great fit and other times I would have to re-wrap it. Structured carriers fit the same every time (providing nop one else wore them/adjusted them).
  • The fit becomes loose over time as the fabric stretches while wearing a baby. 
  • While it is easy to nurse the baby in a Moby, it is less discreet (at least in my experience).
  • The Moby gets hot quickly. This is a plus during the winter, but cumbersome during warmer weather. 

Cost

  • $45

Nesting Days Carrier

I had never heard of the Nesting Days carrier and it seems many others have not either. My mother in law bought it for me, and it has served me well. The carrier is meant to act as a second womb. The company encourages wearing baby skin to skin. The company recommends asking a doctor about using their carrier for babies under 8 pounds. It supports up to 18 pounds. This is technically a sling as babies can recline in it, but the company recommends keeping newborns in an upright position. 

Pros

  • This is by far the easiest carrier I have every used. There are no buckles, inserts, or complicated wrapping techniques involved. I step into it, pull it up around my torso, slip one arm in, slide my baby into the panel, slip in my other arm, tie the two loose pieces together, then pull up the bottom panel for support. It's similar to putting on overalls except the two arms pieces cross over each other to provide more support for the baby. I included visual instructions below. 
  • It is much lighter weight than the Moby wrap. 
  • It allows for discreet nursing.
  • The fabric is similar to active wear. It has some give without stretching out, much like yoga pants. 

Cons

  • It is not one size fits all. They come in small, medium, large, and extra large. 
  • It has less of a weight range than the other carriers so babies will outgrow it sooner. 

Cost

  • $89 for 4-6 weeks delivery
  • $99 for 1-3 days delivery
This is the Tea for Two color.
The bottom part around her hips can lift up to add support much like the Moby.

Final Assessment

My favorite option by far is the Nesting Days carrier, at least for the early months. It provides support like the Moby but is much easier to use. It is also much less suffocating due to being made of less fabric. Every time I wear my baby out in this carrier, someone stops me to ask me what it is and where they can get one. 

Once my baby outgrows the Nesting Days carrier, I will likely switch to the Ergo. I plan on keeping my Moby because it offers several ways to carry the baby that the Ergo does not. However, during the summer months, I will likely avoid the Moby because it is so much material and stuffy.

If cost is an issue, the Moby is half the price of the other carriers. While it requires more steps to put it on, it is a more wallet-friendly option. It provides more carrying holds/options than the other carriers as well. While I prefer the Nesting Days carrier for its ease of use, I can use the Moby for longer since it supports up to 35 pounds compared to Nesting Days' 18 pounds. .

No comments:

Post a Comment