Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Rodan + Fields Soothe Review: A Tale of Perioral Dermatitis

I have always had very dry skin, but otherwise nice skin. It minded its manners, said please and thank you during meals--all of the things you would expect of skin that you raised and cared for your entire life. Then in my early twenties I developed permanent redness around my nose. Nothing I did made it better. I went to the dermatologist about it a handful of times and finally came out with elidel cream, cetaphil moisturizer, and vanicream moisturizer (both are dye and fragrance-free). I was told to use whichever moisturizer I felt worked best after trial and error and the elidel cream whenever there was redness (there was always redness).

After a few weeks, I gave up on the Elidel cream. The Vani cream and Cetaphil cream both work equally well for my super dry skin but did nothing for the redness. I looked like I had a constant cold, but I could deal with it since cover up worked just fine. Then perioral dermatitis showed up to ruin everything.

I'm fairly certain my perioral dermatitis was triggered by childbirth. All those hormones were running around pissing on the lawn, graffiting the sidewalks, and being a general pain in the butt. My dermatologist told me no one ~really~ knows why perioral dermatitis happens, just that it is more likely to happen to women. Joy. Also, topical steroids make it worse. The only known treatment is to wear nothing on your skin. I was told to wash my face with a gentle soap and water, apply my cetaphil/vanicream moisturizer if absolutely necessary, and ride out the storm.


One slight problem with this approach. I looked like a leper. Even with makeup, the best I could do was conceal the redness. I was, to quote Clueless, a full-on Monet. Perioral dermatitis causes an acne-like rash to spread around the mouth and eyes. For me, it was under my nose, around my mouth, across my chin, and under my eyes. It also made my skin very dry, very itchy, and very sensitive. My well-mannered skin became a gross mask. I was miserable and after months of no-makeup-every-damn-day, there was little improvement.

It was around this time, a girlfriend of mine made a post about how she was starting as a Rodan + Fields consultant. Nearly everyone has heard of Rodan + Fields by now. It's likely someone you know has sent you a FaceBook message or twenty about how you should consider being a consultant. You've probably seen similar spiels from consults for lularoe leggings, pure romance, beach body, it works, etc. The direct sales thing is nothing new.


I avoided anything direct-sales because, quite honestly, it annoys me. It annoys most people I know. Not that I have anything against these ladies--they have to make a living too--it just was not my cup of tea and still isn't. I have zero desire to do direct sales. However, I finally reached my breaking point when it came to using the products themselves. I could not walk around with this horrible rash on my face any longer.

Funnily enough, I reached out to this friend because she had never harassed me about joining or buying from R+F. I had seen her FaceBook posts including her own before picture. I figured what did I have to lose? I already look like my face was molting, so why the hell not? Plus, they have a money back guarantee. If I didn't like the results, I could send the empty bottles back and get a full refund.

I ordered the Soothe line and began using it as soon as it arrived. At first, I was disappointed. Two weeks went by and nothing seemed to be happening. My skin felt a little less itchy, but that was about it. I was incredibly disappointed. My friend urged me to keep using it. Around the 5 week mark is when I noticed a dramatic change. The change itself wasn't abrupt or overnight, it was simply the first time I realized I didn't cringe looking at my face in a mirror. I am now at the 7 week mark and I am sold.

My before and after. I am not wearing makeup in either.
I wish I had a better quality picture of the gross perioral dermatitis for my before, but this is the only one I have (when one's skin resembles a sunburnt orange peel, one does not take many pictures). The rash is gone around my eyes, nose, and mouth. I still have some under-nose redness, but nowhere near the "Do you have a cold?" levels it used to be. The itchiness is also way down. The dryness persists, but I also live 4780 ft above elevation. The environment itself is dry. That being said, my skin is not as flaky as it used to be. Before, I would put on my moisturizer, then apply my foundation and my forehead and nose would instantly flake (out of spite, I believe). While my skin is still dry, it is no longer sloughing off my face

Another product I now swear by is Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation. It is "eco-chic" (their language, not mine) and has never once caused a breakout of the acne or perioral dermatitis variety. It does not contain parabens, sulfates, or phthalates. I recommend going to an Ulta or similar store. The associates will help you find the right color for you. Ulta will also let you trade it if you realize the color isn't quite right (I had to do this--lesson learned: do not buy foundation at night).

If you have any questions and you don't want a sales pitch as a response, feel free to ask me. Like I said, I'm not selling the stuff, but it worked for me when nothing else did.

2 comments:

  1. thank you. i could've written the first half of this - childbirth, dermatitis, dermatologist, elidel, vanicream, cetaphil, nothing working. hoping the second half is also true for me! i just started using R&F soothe about a week ago and have seen little to no improvement, but your post encourages me to continue using it and give it more time. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete