Saturday, September 8, 2012

Insanity and Egg Roll Chicken Pot Pie Pockets

I just finished the first week of Insanity on my second time through the program, and I forgot how much I liked month 1's workouts. Month 2's definitely kicked my butt in a way month 1 does not, but the cardio levels are much crazier in month 1. Either that, or my attempts to push it to the max are working. As my husband is in the field, my goals is to be smoking hot when he get's back.

Week 1 is done, two more weeks until his return. I know three weeks is not enough for a massive transformation, but in this week alone I finally broke through my plateau by really focusing on nutrition. Down 2 lbs! 2.5 lbs to go to my first goal weight (wedding day weight--honeymoon and 1 month of pre-IOC partying packed on 6 lbs). My ultimate goal is to lose 7.5 lbs, but I'm not concerned about the number, so much as my clothes fitting again. I'm aware if I keep training like this I will lose fat weight, but gain muscle weight, so the scale may not do what I want it to do. I'm happy with my progress so far though

Anyway, here is the chicken pot pie pocket recipe with nutrition info.

You will need 1 cup of frozen mixed vegetables, 1/4 of an onion, 4 oz of chicken breast, 1 cup chicken broth, 4 tsps cornstarch, and a pinch of black pepper for flavor. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the chicken breast, cube or shred (whatever you prefer) and set it aside. Dice up the onion and put in a skillet with the mixed vegetables on medium-high heat. Once cooked through, add the chicken. In a bowl, mix the broth with the cornstarch (make sure it is well combined). Add to the skillet, be sure to stir continually until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat. On a clean, dry counter, set out 5 egg roll wrappers (or you can do them 1 at a time if you prefer). Get a small bowl with water and wet the edges of the wrappers. Spoon the mixture onto the bottom half of the wrappers, leaving about 1/2 an inch. Fold the wrapper in half and reapply water to the three edges. Then fold each edge inward about a 1/4 of an inch. Press the edges with a fork to seal completely.

This recipe makes 5 wraps, I usually eat 2

Calories Tot fat (g) Sat fat (g) Trans fat (g) Sodium (mg)
1 cup mixed vegetables 90 0 0 0 60
1/4 of an onion 15 0 0 0 1.5
4 oz chicken breast 110 2.5 0.5 0 120
1 cup chicken broth 10 0.5 0 0 960
4 tsps cornstarch 73.93396 0 0 0 0
pinch of black pepper 0 0 0 0 0
5 Egg roll wrappers 300 0 0 0 0
Total 598.934 3 0.5 0 1141.5
Total per serving (2) 239.5736 1.2 0.2 0 456.6
Total per wrap 119.7868 0.6 0.1 0 228.3

Overall, I have to say this is one of the better recipes I've done in regards to keeping things healthy and tasty.  Low fat, low calories, and much, much better in the sodium arena than I normally do. It's well under the 2400 mg minimum at any rate, even if I scarfed all 5 wraps.

No comments:

Post a Comment