Sunday, March 12, 2017

Pregnancy Week 34: DIY Reupholstered Glider + Mounted Painted Mason Jars + Washi Tape Phone Case Makeover

Everything has been fairly quiet in pregnancy land. I go in for another prenatal appointment on Tuesday so I may have some more updates then. For now, everything is going smoothly! At 34 weeks, most babies are 19-22 inches long and weigh around 4.9 pounds. They estimated baby girl to be 4.5 pounds at 32 weeks, so 4.9 seems about right. She is about the size of a pineapple, and boy howdy do I believe it. My right ribs feel like they're going to bust.

With E's pregnancy, I had my baby shower around this time. We played a game where everyone cut a piece of yarn that they guessed was how big around I was at my widest point. Whoever was the closest won. The winner was smack on with my belly. I found the string in an old purse during one of my many nesting/cleaning episodes. I am slightly smaller this time around. Here are the comparison pictures. E on the left; this pregnancy on the right. My belly was much rounder and cute looking with E.


DIY Projects

I have the craft bug. I have it bad. I finished reupholstering the glider this week. I found a used one I liked for $30. I liked the glider itself anyway; the fabric had to go and the cushions needed adjusting because the top sloped funny. I ended up buying $30 in new fabric to reupholster it. I got too much (surprise), but I would rather have too much than not enough. Plus, $60 for a glider is a heck of a deal since most of them cost more than twice that amount.

This glider was a little more complicated to reupholster than the one I did for E's room. This glider had a base cushion with multiple pieces of fabric rather than one solid piece. I am way too lazy for that nonsense. So I got my seam ripper and tore that fabric off completely. That left me with one piece of foam.

I took the seam ripper to the top piece as well because it had a thick cord all the way around that I did not like. I was going to undo the seams holding together the individual pieces on the top, but that turned out to be way more cumbersome than expected. So I left it intact and just made a slip cover for it instead. I removed the velcro pieces that attach the cushions to the back of the glider and sewed them onto my new fabric once I was done. Here is the before and after.

I also made some changes to the hanging painted mason jars. I decided I didn't like them hanging from the ceiling. I already have two mobiles (one over the crib and one over the changing table), so it felt like too much. The jars also wouldn't stay facing the direction I wanted, so I decided to mount them instead.

I got a piece of wood from Michaels for dirt cheap ($3.60 after using the 40% off coupon they always have on their website). I also got some tube straps, screws, and worm clamps from Lowes. That was about $5. I eyeballed where I wanted the jars to go, then measured it to make sure I spaced the jars evenly. I placed the worm clamp inside the tube straps and screwed them into place. Then I adjusted the worm clamps until they were tight around the mason jars. I hid the actual clamp part near the back since it's the prettiest looking.

The piece of wood came with twine attached to the back already, so it was easy to hang up on the wall. This is a pretty versatile project. Instead of flowers/decor, you can use it in the bathroom to hold makeup/supplies or in an office to hold pens, pencils, etc. It would also be cute for a craft room to hold paint brushes, knitting needles, and so on.



My last small craft was more for functionality than anything else. Hubs and I both got new phones recently. Our cases are identical and he kept accidentally taking my phone. I tried a few DIYs to distinguish the cases from one and other, but I never cared much for the outcome. Then I discovered washi tape. Or, more accurately, mylar tape. Washi tape with scuff and fade with time since the design is on the outside.

The mylar tape I have is metallic and the color portion is on the inside of the tape. Since I wrapped it all the way around the case to hide the edges behind the phone, it is easy to tell our cases apart from the back as well as the front. Here is the final result.


No comments:

Post a Comment