Tuesday, March 21, 2017

DIY Hanging Mason Jars Instructions

I provided some details on how I made the hanging mason jar projects, but I've been asked for more details. The whole reason I made this particular project was because E grew and can reach into the junk drawers now. She kept coloring the tablecloth, walls, etc. I needed somewhere else for the pens and markers to go, but I didn't want them sitting out on my counters or put away in the closet/some other inconvenient location.

The other hanging mason jar crafts (here and here) were for decoration, so I coated the inside of those with paint. I opted not to do that for this project because I never know what color the walls will be in our next kitchen when we move and I didn't want the pens to scratch through the paint.

What You Will Need


  • A wood board (I got mine at Michaels, it came with a string for hanging it already attached)
  • Mason jars
  • Worm gear clamps/hose clamps
  • 1/2 inch tube straps
  • Wood screws (length will depend on the thickness of the wood board)
  • Screwdriver



I measured out how wide the board was and eyeballed where I wanted my mason jars to start and end. I also estimated how much mason jar I wanted to extend past the bottom of the board/how much of the pens/pencils I wanted to extend past the top. Then I measured out the area in between so they would be evenly spaced.

I screwed the top part of the tube straps down and slipped the worm gear clamps under the non-attached side. Then I screwed the bottom half of the tube straps into place.


I removed the center portion of the mason jar lids so the inside is easily accessible. Then I stood the board upright and slipped the worm gear clamps over the tops of the mason jars and tightened them into place. I made sure to turn the clamp fastener toward the back so they weren't so visible.


Then I put our copious amount of markers, sharpies, pens, and pencils into the jars.


Look how clean and organized my junk drawers are now!


No comments:

Post a Comment