Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Cranberry Chicken Quinoa + Green Beans

My mother in law made a version of this over the summer, and I've been meaning to try and recreate it ever since. I finally got around to buying cranberries and decided to give it a whirl. While it isn't complicated, it is the first time I've made something entirely without a Pinterest recipe as a basis or without falling back on a meal my mother taught me how to make. As a result, it is fairly simple, but still delicious.

I have a feeling I will be tweaking this one over time, adding in spices as they suit me and whatnot. For now, I like it as it is. It only takes about half an hour (provided that your chicken breasts are already thawed) so it is great for nights you are strapped for time.

My toddler has become suspicious of all new foods, but I got her to at least try the cranberries. She calls them her "new berries."

Ingredients 

  • 2 thin sliced chicken breasts
  • 1 bag of cranberries (3.5 cups)
  • 1.5 C water
  • 3/4 C dried quinoa
  • 1/4-1/3 C sugar
  • 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 bouillon cube
Optional:
  • 1 can of green beans
  • 1 bouillon cube

Directions

  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking tray with tin foil and arrange your cranberries on top in a single layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes. 
  2. While the cranberries are baking, pour the olive oil into a large pan and heat on medium-high. Cook your chicken breasts for 2 minutes on each side. 
  3. Pour in your water and quinoa around the chicken breasts and add a bouillon cube. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the quinoa absorbs all the liquid. 
  4. When the cranberries are done, pull them out and transfer them to a saucepan. Add your sugar and stir to coat. When there is about one minute left for the quinoa, add in your cranberries and recover. 
Optional:

I chose to serve this with green beans, but it would go well with several other vegetables (e.g. squash, sweet potatoes, asparagus, etc.). If you decide to go with green beans, heat them in a small saucepan over medium heat along with a bouillon cube for 5-10 minutes. If you are using fresh green beans, add water to simmer with the bouillon cube or use chicken stock. 

Nutrition Information

The nutrition information below is for 1/3 of the quinoa, green beans, and cranberries (using 1/4 C sugar) as well as 2/3 of a chicken breast. 

Calories
Fat
Carbs
Protein
Sodium
Sugar
Fiber
403
8
61
20
203
22
6

No comments:

Post a Comment