Wednesday, October 28, 2015

8 Months Old: Mobile Baby, DIY Projects, and House Decorations

Why smile when she can just chew her fingers? -_-
About 2 days after E's 7 month blog post, she became a crawling machine. She also pulls herself up onto things now as well. So far it hasn't been as bad as every claimed it would be:

It's on now!

Now you're in trouble!

You're in for a whole new world!

*insert other pieces of doom and gloom*

A mobile baby does certainly keep things interesting. We baby proofed a little bit when we first moved into the new house (electric socket plugs, a baby gate in front of stairs, locks on cabinets with toxic stuff in them, etc).

That covered the majority of the stuff I didn't want her getting into. We still have issues with spatial awareness (you mean my head can't go through the wall?), so she still bonks her head from time to time. Otherwise, we just shut our bedroom and hall bathroom doors, and she is free to roam as she pleases in relative safety.

After she became mobile, we started to notice a couple of areas of concern. Primarily the internet modem cables and my computer cables. E likes to chew on everything (no teefies yet), and for some reason she thinks cables, wires, and other electrical stuff if the best thing to try and chew. Rather than constantly fight her on the matter, I decided to hide the cables instead. Out of sight, out of mind.

For the modem, I got a large basket with two holes cut out for handles. Then I threaded the modem and cables through the holes to keep the electrical components out of reach. At least until she learns how to untie a bow, haha. For now, she can't see the shiny metal or blinking modem lights, so she ignores it.



My work area took more work to baby-proof than the modem. With the help of some big binder clips, screws, and a little basket, I was able to get all the cords up off the floor. Organize all the cable wires!

The basket holds the charger/power bricks. The binder clips and the power strip are screwed into the underside of the desk. If you are going to attempt something like this yourself, be sure to measure your desk. My desk is about 3/4 of an inch thick, so I used 1/2 in screws to make sure they didn't come poking out of the top.


Computer cable organization!
I also did another much more fun DIY project. I finally made E a shadow box. My mom gave me the idea awhile ago, but I never had the time to get around to it until now.


This project was pretty simple. I got the shadow box at TJ Maxx and the cardstock and push pins came from Hobby Lobby. The picture is baby E at 18 hours old along with her footprints, hospital band, and the socks she came home in. I wanted to use her baby dress she came home in as well, but the shadow box isn't large enough to accommodate that. Oh well. I still think it is super cute.

House Updates

Josh had to work two weekends in a row, so I decided to be productive and finally decorate the house. It looks like real people live here now, yay!'

My Office

We kept this pretty basic and empty. We plan on being here for 3 years, so we will likely have another kid in that time frame. I want us all on the main floor, so my office will move to the basement once that happens. For now, it's sparsely decorated to make it easier to transition later.


Painting by my uncle Mike :)
E's shadow box!

The Nursery

I'm not thrilled with the setup, but it works.





Master Bedroom

Our master is smaller than our last, but we got the dressers to fit. I hate our closet doors. They're on tracks, but they constantly get derailed.



Kitchen 

Busted out the fall decorations :D

Pumpkin table cloth.

Pumpkin ladle holder.

Little pumpkin salt and pepper shakers!

Upstairs Living Area



Family wall <3 I also love this little bench.

Downstairs Living Area

The houses in Utah are so strange. They are two level for the most part, but they either are a main level with an upstairs or a main level with a basement. Never all three. We have a main level with a basement. 



New chairs! I love them :D
Zooming in on that glorious glass pumpkin.
And there is our house all decorated!

No comments:

Post a Comment