Thursday, March 5, 2015

One Week Old

Little miss is one week old* and she's above her birth weight! Chunky monkey weighed in at 7.2 lbs this morning :) Babies lose 5-10% of their birth weight in their first few days from a variety of factors. The pediatrician said she would like little miss to be back at her birth weight by her two week wellness check up, and we have clearly met that bench mark.

*And by one week, I mean 6 days. My sleep-deprived brain keeps thinking today is Friday instead of Thursday.

To refresh, baby girl weighed 6 pounds and 15 ounces at birth. When we went home she weighed 6 pounds 9 ounces. At her check up on Monday (her actual due date!) she was up to 6 pounds 11.8 ounces. Now she is sitting at roughly 7 pounds 3.2 ounces. We win at the eating game!


I'm super excited about this because holy crap breast feeding is hard. I was concerned that she wasn't getting enough to eat (especially since she acts like she is starving all the time). We have an appointment with a lactation consultant on Saturday. It's frustrating because while in the hospital I met with the consultants upwards of 10 times. Her latch hurt like hell and she was making me bleed. They're baffled because her latch looks perfect on the outside and she does not appear to have a tongue tie. They are going to double check for tongue and/or lip ties as well as any other possible explanations.

Other than that, we are doing well. I'm not getting much sleep (no surprises there) as little miss likes to cluster feed at night. The lactation consultants want her eating every 2-3 hours (at least 8 times in a 24 hours period), but little miss acts like she is starving every 1-2 hours during the day. At night from about 1100 to 0500 she is up every 30 minutes to an hour looking to eat. So basically, she waits until it is time for me to sleep to decide to be awake all night, haha. Typical baby maneuver ;)

I forgot to include this in the last blog post. I took pictures right before going to the hospital. It was my very last pregnancy picture. Today I took one with me and little miss now that she has joined the outside world :)


Sorry for baby girl's super awkward angle. She is a wiggle worm and refuses to stay still for very long.

On that note, little miss is also full of surprises and has been since day one. Not only does she have bizarrely strong neck muscles (she can lift her head up and hold it for extended periods of time), she's been able to roll onto her side since birth. It kind of terrifies me actually. I was under the impression I would have a floppy-headed, immobile newborn. Instead I have a baby who cranes her head up and all around and can roll already.

I thought I was imagining the rolling thing when we were in the hospital. I kept thinking maybe a nurse came in and rolled her to her side to check her vitals or something. Then the nurses came to take her for her 24 hour check up. When the nurse brought her back in she incredulously asked me if I knew my baby could roll already. I don't know how common or uncommon it is, but it struck me as odd. Now I'm constantly checking on her to make sure she didn't roll over onto her face. She can lift her head up and around, but her coordination (i.e. not smooshing her face into the mattress) leaves much to be desired.

Body after baby update: One week PP. It amazes me how hungry I am with breast feeding. I'm eating over 1000 additional calories per day and I still wake up starving. I've also been getting killer headaches and  I'm not sure why. Otherwise, little miss and I are doing great :)



No comments:

Post a Comment