Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Low Calorie Spinach and Onion Cheesy Crustless Quiche

My mom used to make some variation of this when I was in high school. I've never been able to relocate the exact recipe, but I've tinkered with it enough to create a close approximation. I like these because they freeze and reheat well for when I need to eat breakfast on the go (which is always, because children).

It's low calorie, low carb, and high protein. It's also simple so it's likely you already have all of the ingredients.

Ingredients

This recipe will yield 12 quiches. 
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 egg whites
  • 4 cups spinach
  • 1.5 C mozzarella
  • 1/2 C parmesan
  • 1/4 of a Vidalia onion diced
You can also add salt, pepper, cayenne, etc. if so desired. I've also swapped out the Vidalia onion for green onions before and switched up the cheeses as well. If you use parmesan, be careful about adding salt. Parm is super salty on its own.

If I don't want it as salty, I decrease the parm by 1/4 of a cup and increase the mozzarella by 1/4 of a cup.

You can add in various other vegetables or ingredients if so desired. My mom used to include sliced mushrooms in hers. 

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Dice your onion then mix all ingredients in a large bowl
  3. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray then spoon the mixture into each cup in even amounts. 
  4. Bake for 25-30 minutes
  5. Let cool for 5-10 minutes
Seriously, the easiest breakfast prep ever. I do have to warn you, if you try to make these around toddlers, they will think you are making cupcakes. 

Nutrition Information

The information below applies to 3 muffins. 

Calories
Fat
Carbs
Protein
Sodium
Fiber
Sugar
238 14.4 6.7 22.4 523.9 2.2 0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment